Lisa Leiner joined Harman Claytor in 2002, and concentrates her practice in long term care, employment, and governmental litigation. Lisa represents home health agencies, assisted living facilities and nursing homes in claims concerning falls, elopement, medication errors, assault, pressure sores and allegations of Medicaid fraud. She represents healthcare providers in matters brought before the Virginia Department of Health Professions. Lisa also represents employers in state and federal courts for claims involving race, age, disability and sex discrimination. Lisa’s practice further includes the defense of constitutional officers, municipalities and their employees, in tort claims and claims arising under 42 U.S.C. § 1983, including claims of excessive force and deliberate indifference to a serious medical need.
804.762.8008 | email | vCard
SECRETARY | Liz Griffin 804.762.8024
OFFICE | Richmond
- Ohio University, B.B.A.
- University of Richmond School of Law, J.D.
Professional Honors & Activities
- Virginia State Bar
- Richmond Bar Association
- Litigation Section – Executive Committee
- Henrico County Bar Association
- Virginia Association of Defense Attorneys
- Local Government Attorneys Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Nursing Home/ALF Subcommittee
- Virginia Health Care Association
- Virginia Center for Assisted Living Committee
- Virginia Super Lawyers
- Rising Stars, Civil Litigation Defense – 2009, 2010, 2013 – 2017
- Virginia Business Legal Elite
- Civil Litigation – 2011
- Young Lawyer (Under 40) – 2012, 2013, 2014
- Fortune Magazine, Women Leaders in the Law – 2015
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Rated
Bar & Court Admissions
- Virginia State Bar
- United States District Court for the Eastern and Western Districts of Virginia
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- Member, Board of Directors, Greater Richmond SCAN (Stop Child Abuse Now)
- Obtained favorable jury verdict in a multi-day trial for a home care agency in a sexual battery case. Plaintiff asked the Goochland County jury to award $2.5 million but the jury returned a verdict for $1,000.
- Represented various long term care facilities, including nursing homes, assisted living facilities and home care agencies for claims involving pressure ulcers, falls, elopement, assault and battery, use of restraints, and medication errors.
- Defended occupational therapist in assault and battery claim filed by a physical therapist alleging ruptured breast implant from unwanted touching.
- Represented pharmacy in claim alleging personal injury from error in compounding nitrogen mustard paste.
- Successfully defended medical supply company in claims of negligence and gross negligence stemming from one of its home health products.
- Acted as local counsel for a ladder manufacturer in a product liability case. After a multi-day trial, the City of Portsmouth jury found for the manufacturer.
- Represented gasket manufacturer in product liability action.
- Defended cafeteria stool manufacturer in product liability action.
- Represented the plaintiff, a bus driver, in a subrogation action against a driver. The City of Alexandria jury found for my client despite the fact that there was no contact between the vehicles.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of a Sheriff’s deputy in which a prisoner alleged the use of excessive force in violation of 42 U.S.C. § 1983 during a cell search. The decision was affirmed by the Fourth Circuit. The U.S. Supreme Court denied the plaintiff’s Petition for Writ of Certiorari.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of a prison physician in which a prisoner alleged deliberate indifference to serious medical needs in violation of 42 U.S.C. § 1983.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of a mental health facility for claims of discrimination and retaliation in violation of Title VII by a former employee.
- Represented city school bus driver in personal injury action filed by three occupants of another vehicle.
- Represented county employee in gross negligence claim stemming from a personal injury occurring at a landfill.
- Represented beverage wholesaler in premises liability action.
- Represented large retail chain in premises liability action.
The cases referenced above do not represent the lawyer’s entire record. Each case must be evaluated on its own facts. The outcome of a particular case cannot be based on past results.
- Not for Profit Seminar, Richmond, Virginia, February 2014
- Virginia Council on Juvenile Detention, Charlottesville, Virginia, December 2013
- Trends in Employment, Home Care and Group Home Litigation, Charlottesville, Virginia, October 2013
- Assisted Living Symposium, Richmond, Virginia, July 2013