Les is a partner with Harman Claytor and concentrates his practice in the fields of construction law, land use/zoning, premises liability, and products liability. As a member of the firm’s construction law group, Les routinely represents project owners, design professionals, contractors, and liability carriers in a variety of construction, professional liability, insurance coverage, and contract disputes, such as construction defect claims, design claims, delay claims, payment/bond claims, mechanic’s liens, and other commercial disputes. Prior to joining Harman Claytor, Les clerked for Senior Justice A. Christian Compton of The Supreme Court of Virginia.
- University of Georgia, A.B., cum laude
- Phi Kappa Phi
- Washington and Lee University School of Law, J.D.
- Environmental Law Digest
Professional Honors & Activities
- Virginia Association of Defense Attorneys
- Board of Directors, DRI Representative, 2011 – 2014
- Virginia Business Legal Elite
- Construction, 2018
- Young Lawyer (under 40), 2016
- Virginia Super Lawyers – Civil Litigation: Defense, 2017 & 2018
- Rising Star – Civil Litigation: Defense, 2012 – 2014
- Virginia State Bar
- Construction Law & Public Contracts Section
- Young Lawyers Conference
- Chair, Committee on Admission and Orientation, 2011-12
- Sponsors Coordinator & Ad Hoc Admissions, 2010-11
- Circuit Co-Representative – 14th Circuit – Henrico, 2011-2015
- Richmond Bar Association
- Executive Committee Member, Young Lawyers Section, 2011-2015
- Co-Chair, Social Committee, Young Lawyers Section, 2011-2015
- Defense Research Institute (DRI)
- State Representative – Virginia, 2011-2014
- State Liaison – Judicial Task Force, Annual Meeting, 2011-2014
- Young Lawyers Committee – Legislative Liaisons, Marketing Subcommittees
- Products Liability Committee
- Construction Law Committee
- Henrico County Bar Association
Bar & Court Admissions
- Virginia State Bar
- United States District Court for the Eastern and Western Districts of Virginia
- Hensel Phelps Constr. Co. v. Thompson Masonry Contractor, Inc., et al, 791 S.E.2d 734 (Va. S. Ct. 2016)
- Allstate Ins. Co., a/s/o Hillel at Virginia Tech, Inc. v. Structures Design/Build, LLC, 2016 WL 1071040 (W.D. Va. 2016)
- Maggard v. Essar Global Ltd., et al, 2015 WL 1498965 (W.D. Va. 2015)
- Maggard v. Essar Global Ltd., et al, 2015 WL 1780838 (W.D. Va. 2015)
- Supchak v. Fuller Const. Corp., et al., 86 Va. Cir. 517 (Chesapeake 2013)
- Gauthreaux v. U.S., 694 F.Supp.2d 460 (E.D.Va. 2009)
- Lunch Buddies Program
- Successfully defended general contractor at trial in a case brought by a subcontractor for breach of contract and unjust enrichment to recover damages sustained in the construction of two public schools.
- Obtained pre-trial dismissal of third-party claims against retailer of construction supplies in a construction defect case based on the failure of an allegedly defective plumbing part.
- Obtained pre-trial dismissal of claims by general contractor against electrical subcontractor for breach of contract and indemnity to recover damages resulting from a fire allegedly caused by an electrical failure.
- Obtained pre-trial dismissal of claims against manufacturer/seller of steel buildings in action for breach of contract and breach of warranty related to alleged failures in the roof.
- Obtained pre-trial dismissal of claims against owner for damages allegedly sustained during roof repair project.
- Obtained arbitration award in favor of construction contractor in an action for breach of contract in a design-build project.
- Obtained dismissal of claims for construction contractor in a binding arbitration involving claims for breach of contract and warranty.
- Obtained summary judgment for forklift manufacturer in a multi-million dollar product liability action involving claims for severe injuries including paraplegia.
- Obtained defense judgment for a car dealership in an action involving claims for false advertising.
- Obtained jury verdicts in favor of private educational institution in multiple lawsuits by passengers involved in a bus accident.
- Obtained dismissal of claims against an amusement park in an action alleging defective restraints on a rollercoaster.
- Obtained dismissal of claims against a large national grocery store chain in a premises liability action alleging a dangerous and defective condition on the premises.
- Successfully defended an automotive repair shop in an action for negligent repairs.
- Obtained defense judgment for a paint and auto body shop in a breach of contract action.
- Successfully defended apartment building owner and property manager in a premises liability action involving a slip-and-fall accident.
- Successfully defended national fast-food restaurant in a premises liability action involving a slip-and-fall accident.
- Successfully defended nail salon in a premises liability action alleging a dangerous and defective condition on the premises.
The cases referenced above do not represent the lawyer’s entire record. Each case must be evaluated on its own facts. The outcome of a particular case cannot be based on past results.