Les handles a variety of civil liability matters and has tried dozens of cases throughout Virginia. Les focuses his practice in the areas of construction law, premises liability, products liability, automotive liability and insurance-related litigation. Les routinely represents owners, general contractors and subcontractors in a variety of construction disputes, including construction defect claims, payment and bond claims, mechanic’s liens and other contract issues. Prior to joining Harman Claytor, Les clerked for Senior Justice A. Christian Compton of the Supreme Court of Virginia.
- University of Georgia, A.B., cum laude
- Phi Kappa Phi
- Washington and Lee University School of Law, J.D.
- Environmental Law Digest
Professional Honors & Activities
- Virginia Association of Defense Attorneys
- Board of Directors, DRI Representative, 2011 – 2014
- Virginia Business Legal Elite
- Young Lawyer (under 40) (2016)
- Virginia Super Lawyers – Civil Litigation: Defense, 2017
- Rising Star – Civil Litigation: Defense, 2012 – 2014
- Virginia State Bar
- Construction Law & Public Contracts Section
- Young Lawyers Conference
- Chair, Committee on Admission and Orientation, 2011-12
- Sponsors Coordinator & Ad Hoc Admissions, 2010-11
- Circuit Co-Representative – 14th Circuit – Henrico, 2011-2015
- Richmond Bar Association
- Executive Committee Member, Young Lawyers Section, 2011-2015
- Co-Chair, Social Committee, Young Lawyers Section, 2011-2015
- Defense Research Institute (DRI)
- State Representative – Virginia, 2011-2014
- State Liaison – Judicial Task Force, Annual Meeting, 2011-2014
- Young Lawyers Committee – Legislative Liaisons, Marketing Subcommittees
- Products Liability Committee
- Construction Law Committee
- Henrico County Bar Association
Bar & Court Admissions
- Virginia State Bar
- United States District Court for the Eastern and Western Districts of Virginia
- Hensel Phelps Constr. Co. v. Thompson Masonry Contractor, Inc., et al, 791 S.E.2d 734 (Va. S. Ct. 2016)
- Allstate Ins. Co., a/s/o Hillel at Virginia Tech, Inc. v. Structures Design/Build, LLC, 2016 WL 1071040 (W.D. Va. 2016)
- Maggard v. Essar Global Ltd., et al, 2015 WL 1498965 (W.D. Va. 2015)
- Maggard v. Essar Global Ltd., et al, 2015 WL 1780838 (W.D. Va. 2015)
- Supchak v. Fuller Const. Corp., et al., 86 Va. Cir. 517 (Chesapeake 2013)
- Gauthreaux v. U.S., 694 F.Supp.2d 460 (E.D.Va. 2009)
- Lunch Buddies Program
- Successfully defended general contractor at trial in a case brought by a subcontractor for breach of contract and unjust enrichment to recover damages sustained in the construction of two public schools.
- Obtained pre-trial dismissal of third-party claims against retailer of construction supplies in a construction defect case based on the failure of an allegedly defective plumbing part.
- Obtained pre-trial dismissal of claims by general contractor against electrical subcontractor for breach of contract and indemnity to recover damages resulting from a fire allegedly caused by an electrical failure.
- Obtained pre-trial dismissal of claims against manufacturer/seller of steel buildings in action for breach of contract and breach of warranty related to alleged failures in the roof.
- Obtained pre-trial dismissal of claims against owner for damages allegedly sustained during roof repair project.
- Obtained arbitration award in favor of construction contractor in an action for breach of contract in a design-build project.
- Obtained dismissal of claims for construction contractor in a binding arbitration involving claims for breach of contract and warranty.
- Obtained summary judgment for forklift manufacturer in a multi-million dollar product liability action involving claims for severe injuries including paraplegia.
- Obtained defense judgment for a car dealership in an action involving claims for false advertising.
- Obtained jury verdicts in favor of private educational institution in multiple lawsuits by passengers involved in a bus accident.
- Obtained dismissal of claims against an amusement park in an action alleging defective restraints on a rollercoaster.
- Obtained dismissal of claims against a large national grocery store chain in a premises liability action alleging a dangerous and defective condition on the premises.
- Successfully defended an automotive repair shop in an action for negligent repairs.
- Obtained defense judgment for a paint and auto body shop in a breach of contract action.
- Successfully defended apartment building owner and property manager in a premises liability action involving a slip-and-fall accident.
- Successfully defended national fast-food restaurant in a premises liability action involving a slip-and-fall accident.
- Successfully defended nail salon in a premises liability action alleging a dangerous and defective condition on the premises.
The cases referenced above do not represent the lawyer’s entire record. Each case must be evaluated on its own facts. The outcome of a particular case cannot be based on past results.