David P. Corrigan
Partner | Richmond »
David P. Corrigan
Partner | Richmond »
David has tried over 100 cases to verdict including employment, construction, civil rights, defamation, products liability, automobile, premises and property cases. David specializes in representing state and local governments and their employees. He has handled constitutional cases and employment discrimination and tort claims of all types against cities, counties, towns, school boards and regional authorities. He has defended school superintendents, principals, guidance counselors and teachers, and he frequently represents mayors, city council members, county supervisors, police officers and police brass.
Professional Honors & Activities
- American College of Trial Lawyers, Fellow
- Virginia Association of Defense Attorneys, President (2000-2001)
- Virginia Law Foundation, Fellow
- Elk Hill Farm, Inc., Former President of the Elk Hill Board
- A private, non-profit organization that helps at-risk teenagers with emotional, educational and legal problems
- Virginia Business Legal Elite
- Labor/Employment (2007)
- Civil Litigation (2008, 2010 – 2022)
- Virginia Super Lawyers, Employment Litigation: Defense (2007 – 2022)
- Top 50 Lawyers in Richmond (2015 – 2017 & 2019 – 2022)
- Top 100 Lawyers in Virginia (2015 – 2022)
- 10 Years Selected to Super Lawyers
- Virginia Super Lawyers, Business Edition, Employment Litigation: Defense (2008 – 2013)
- Best Lawyers in America, Employment Law – Management (2013 – 2023)
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Rated
- Richmond Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Local Government Attorneys Association
- Virginia Bar Association
- Western Star Hospital Authority, Inc. v. City of Richmond, et al., 986 F.3d 354 (4th Cir. 2021)
- Hanover County Unit of the NAACP v. Hanover County, et al., 461 F. Supp. 3d 280 (E.D. Va. 2020)
- Kessler v. City of Charlottesville, et al., 441 F. Supp. 3d 277 (W.D. Va. 2020)
- Turner v. Thomas, 930 F.3d 640 (4th Cir. 2019), cert. denied, 140 S.Ct. 905 (2020)
- Adams v. Ferguson, 884 F.3d 219 (4th Cir. 2018)
- Gloucester Cty. Sch. Bd. v. G.G. ex rel. Grimm, 137 S. Ct. 1239 (2017)
- Gloucester Cty. Sch. Bd. v. G.G. ex rel. Grimm, 136 S. Ct. 2442 (2016)
- Altamira-Rojas v. City of Richmond, 184 F.Supp.3d 290, 291 (E.D. Va. 2016)
- Hensel Phelps Constr. Co. v. Thompson Masonry Contractor, Inc., et al, 791 S.E.2d 734 (Va. S. Ct. 2016)
- Boyce v. Bennett, 2015 WL 6873547 (E.D. Va. Nov. 9, 2015)
- G.G. ex rel. Grimm v. Gloucester Cty. Sch. Bd. 132 F.Supp.3d 736 (E.D. Va. 2015)
- Woodson v. City of Richmond, Va., 2 F.Supp.3d 804, 807 (E.D. Va. 2014)
- Silverman v. Town of Blackstone, 843 F.Supp.2d 624 (E.D. Va. 2011)
- Swann v. City of Richmond, 462 F. Supp.2d 709 (E.D. Va., Nov. 17, 2006)(No. Civ.A. 3:06CV069)
- Conley v. Town of Elkton, 190 Fed.Appx. 246 (Not selected for publication in the Federal Reporter), 2006 WL 2008759 (4th Cir.(Va.), Jul. 14, 2006)(No. 05-2004)
- Conley v. Town of Elkton, 381 F. Supp.2d 514 (W.D. Va., Aug. 4, 2005)(No. Civ. A. 5:04CV00030)
- Conley v. Town of Elkton, Not Reported in F. Supp.2d, 2005 WL 415897 (W.D. Va., Feb. 22, 2005)(No. Civ. A. 5:04CV00030)
- Smith v. Shenandoah Valley Juvenille Detention Home Com’n, Not Reported in F. Supp.2d, 2005 WL 372262 (W.D. Va., Feb. 15, 2005)(No. Civ. A. 5:04CV00022)
- Styles v. City of Colonial Heights, 43 Va.App. 588, 600 S.E.2d 174 (Va. App., Aug. 10, 2004)(No. 0803-03-2)
- Jones v. Virginia Oil Co., 69 Fed.Appx. 633 (Not selected for publication in the Federal Reporter), 2003 WL 21699882 (4th Cir. (Va.), Jul 23, 2003)(No. 02-1631)
- Brackman v. Fauquier County, Virginia, 72 Fed.Appx. 887 (Not selected for publication in the Federal Reporter), 2003 WL 21541040 (4th Cir. (Va.), Jul. 9, 2003)(No. 02-1161)
- Dean v. Dearing, 263 Va. 485, 561 S.E.2d 686, 30 Media L. Rep. 1698 (Va., Apr. 19, 2002)(No. 011154)
- Dean, Jr. v. Town of Elkton, Not Reported in S.E.2d, 54 Va. Cir. 518, 2001 WL 184223 (Va. Cir. Ct., Feb. 21, 2001)(No. CL00-11958)
- Bailey v. Lancaster Ruritan Recreation Center, Inc., 256 Va. 221, 504 S.E.2d 621 (Va., Sep. 18, 1998)(No. 972112)
- Estate of Morgan v. Mayor and City Council of Hampton, Va., 936 F. Supp. 343 (E.D. Va., Mar. 22, 1996)(No. Civ. A. 4:95CV17)
- Oates v. Catheter Technology Corp., 902 F.2d 1566 (Table, Text in Westlaw), Unpublished Disposition, 1990 WL 64607 (4th Cir.(Va.), Apr. 25, 1990)(No. 89-1538)
- Successfully defended School Board on claims of violations of First and Fourteenth Amendment Rights and of the Equal Educational Opportunities Act arising out of school names. The School Board prevailed on a Motion to Dismiss, and the case was resolved during the appeal to the Fourth Circuit.
- Successfully represented off duty police officer in shooting death case. After almost three years of litigation in Federal Court, the plaintiffs dismissed the case with prejudice.
- Resolved State Court case in which Plaintiff suffered severe injuries after officer deployed Taser.
- Resolved tragic case involving freshman who died at a college fraternity against allegations of excessive drinking and hazing.
- Obtained early settlement of wrongful death case where elderly man was run over at defendant’s premises after fall on ice.
- Successfully defended Police Officer against numerous claims alleging improper conduct in obtaining search warrants.
- Successfully resolved death case on behalf of high ranking state official arising from death of inmate at jail.
- Successfully defended School Board and employees against Title VII claims brought by an employee for discrimination and retaliation.
- Successfully defended School Board against claims brought by special education student for violation of Rehabilitation Act and ADA related to use of special chair.
- Obtained defense verdict on behalf of two police officers in a wrongful arrest and excessive force claim.
- Successfully represented Police Chief in defense of Constitutional claims by Plaintiff wrongfully convicted of murder.
- Achieved dismissal of several city building officials against claims of Fair Housing Act violations.
- Successfully defended law firm against Legal Malpractice claims involving underlying patent litigation.
- Successfully resolved suit alleging fraud and defamation against Superintendent of schools.
- Represented a chief of police against allegations of malicious prosecution, abuse of process, common law conspiracy and intentional infliction of emotional distress and obtained a defense verdict in a three day jury trial in state court.
- Represented a city police officer who shot and killed a driver who was dragging the officer as the driver attempted to flee. Prevailed on a Motion for Summary Judgment in federal court with the District Court dismissing all federal and state claims.
- Represented a local city and obtained a Voluntary Stipulation of Dismissal in federal court of claims between a construction design firm and the city for breach of contract, quantum meruit and unjust enrichment.
- Prevailed on a Motion to Dismiss in federal court in suit by former employee against a local town alleging wrongful termination and violation of First Amendment rights.
- Obtained a dismissal in state court after a four day jury trial in which he represented four school administrators sued by the estate of a teenage student who committed suicide alleging that the school administrators had failed to address bullying by fellow students at school which led to the suicide.
The cases referenced above do not represent the lawyer’s entire record. Each case must be evaluated on its own facts. The outcome of a particular case cannot be based on past results.
- Hampden-Sydney College, B.A., 1979
- University of Notre Dame, J.D., 1986
Bar & Court Admissions
- Virginia State Bar, 1986
- United States District Court for the Eastern and Western Districts of Virginia
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- United States Supreme Court