James R. Jebo
Partner | Richmond »
James R. Jebo
Partner | Richmond »
Jack Jebo was born in Alexandria, Virginia in 1976. He began his career with Carter & Shands, P.C. in Richmond, Virginia. Jack joined Harman Claytor in 2005 and is a partner at the firm. He has tried over 45 jury trials as first chair. His primary areas of concentration are commercial vehicle, premises liability, and products liability litigation. Jack’s clients include some of the nation’s largest trucking companies, as well as a national restaurant chain.
Jack is the former chairman of The Harmonie Group’s (www.harmonie.org) transportation committee. He regularly speaks on topics related to the defense of trucking and logistics companies.
Professional Honors & Activities
- Henrico County Bar Association
- Richmond Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Virginia Association of Defense Attorneys
- Defense Research Institute
- Trucking Industry Defense Association
- Virginia Super Lawyers, Civil Litigation Defense (2021, 2022)
- Virginia Super Lawyers, Rising Star Civil Litigation Defense (2008 – 2016)
- Virginia Business Legal Elite
- Civil Litigation (2019 – 2021)
- Young Lawyer (under 40) (2014 – 2016)
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Rated
- Obtained a defense verdict for a trucking company and their driver in a wrongful death suit involving a three vehicle accident. Jack was able to overcome evidence that the truck driver failed to see the decedent’s vehicle before the accident. He convinced the jury that only the co-defendant, the driver of the other passenger vehicle, should be found liable.
- Obtained summary judgment in a federal case in favor of a trucking company for an accident involving a forklift driver at a loading dock. Jack successfully argued that the plaintiff’s case was barred by the exclusivity of Virginia’s workers’ compensation laws.
- Obtained a defense verdict for a trucking client in a jury trial where the plaintiff claimed the tractor trailer made an improper wide right turn. Jack successfully argued that the plaintiff negligently failed to keep a proper lookout and was speeding.
- Obtained a defense verdict for a medical transport company in a jury trial where the plaintiff claimed he was injured when his stretcher was dropped by the medical technicians. Jack demonstrated to the jury that the plaintiff’s version of the event was impossible.
- Settled a rear-end accident case for less than 1/3 of the medical bills by developing a defense against the causation of two hip surgeries.
- Settled a wrongful death trucking accident case for a significantly-compromised amount by presenting evidence of the decedent’s contributory negligence.
- Obtained summary judgment for a snow plowing company in a case involving a slip and fall at an apartment complex.
- Obtained summary judgment in a premises case involving a slip and fall at a shopping mall.
- Obtained a verdict in a jury trial in favor of a trucking company whose vehicle was damaged in a motor vehicle accident.
The cases referenced above do not represent the lawyer’s entire record. Each case must be evaluated on its own facts. The outcome of a particular case cannot be based on past results.
- Trucking Industry Defense Association, Estate of Connor Dzion – The Story Behind the $1 Billion Verdict, Nashville, TN, January 2022
- Harmonie Seminar, Combatting the Plaintiff Bar’s Misuse of FMCSA Violations to Bolster Case Valuations, Scottsdale, AZ, November 2018
- Harmonie Seminar, A Primer on the Defense of Neck and Back Claims, Raleigh, NC, May 2017
- Harmonie Seminar, Defending TBI Claims, Denver, CO, July 2015
- Harmonie Seminar, An Update on Speed Limiters in Heavy Trucks, Rogers, AR, April 2015
- Arkansas Trucking Seminar, New Trends in TBI Cases: The Medicine, the Media and the Money, Rogers, AR, September 2013
- College of William and Mary, B.A., 1999
- University of Richmond, J.D., 2002
Bar & Court Admissions
- Virginia State Bar, 2002
- United States District Court for the Eastern and Western Districts of Virginia
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit