Mark Carlton was born in Roanoke, Virginia in 1972. Mark began his legal career as law clerk for the Circuit Court for the City of Norfolk. He joined Harman Claytor in August of 2000. He focuses his practice in the area of insurance coverage litigation.
- Virginia Commonwealth University, B.A.,magna cum laude, 1996
- George Mason University School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, 1999
Professional Honors & Activities
- Henrico County Bar Association
- Richmond Bar Association
- Virginia Bar Association
- Virginia Association of Defense Attorneys
- Policy Coverage Section, Chair (2007)
- Defense Research Institute
- PLUS – Professional Liability Underwriting Society
- Best Lawyers in America, Insurance Law – 2020 & 2021
- Virginia Super Lawyers – Insurance Coverage – 2013 – 2020
- Rising Stars, Insurance Coverage & Civil Litigation Defense (2008-2012)
Bar & Court Admissions
- Virginia State Bar, 1999
- United States District Court for the Eastern and Western Districts of Virginia
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- Byerson v. Equifax Information Services, LLC, ___ F.Supp.2d ___, 2006 WL 3761528 (E.D.Va., Dec. 20, 2006)(No. Civ.A. 3:06CV582)
- Government Employees Ins. Co. v. Moore, 266 Va. 155, 580 S.E.2d 823 (Va., June 6, 2003)(No. 022242)
- Obtained judgment in favor of commercial liability insurer in action to determine trigger and allocation of numerous insurance policies arising from bodily injury claim.
- Successfully represented insurers in administrative matters before the Virginia Bureau of Insurance, including response to administrative complaints by policyholders and claimants.
- Obtained judgment in favor of insurer based upon lack of insured status of vehicle operator under commercial general liability policy issued to vehicle operator’s employer.
- Successfully represented several non-standard automobile insurers in actions to rescind policies based upon material misrepresentations in applications for insurance.
- Defended and represented insurers in numerous lawsuits, mediations and arbitrations in matters involving commercial and personal insurance policies in state and federal courts, including the Supreme Court of Virginia.
- Successfully defended property insurer in action to determine coverage under homeowners policy for total fire loss to insured dwelling.
- Regularly advise insurers regarding rights and obligations in response to first party and third party property and casualty claims under personal and commercial lines policies.
- Successfully defended personal auto insurer in lawsuit alleging fraud and negligence by insurance agent.
The cases referenced above do not represent the lawyer’s entire record. Each case must be evaluated on its own facts. The outcome of a particular case cannot be based on past results.
- “Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Coverage”, Virginia CLE Seminar, Charlottesville, VA, September 2018