Justin is a native of the Northern Neck of Virginia, and he is a civil litigation associate focusing in general civil and insurance coverage and defense litigation. Justin has extensive experience litigating maritime and admiralty insurance coverage and defense matters across the United States, representing insurance companies and insureds alike. Justin also regularly assists businesses and individuals in the navigation of certain regulatory concerns involving the U.S. Coast Guard, the National Vessel Documentation Center, the Federal Maritime Commission, and Customs and Border Protection.
In law school, Justin was a member and an editor of the Tulane Maritime Law Journal, and he clerked for the United States Department of Justice in the Aviation and Admiralty division and the Federal Maritime Commission in Washington, D.C. Prior to law school, Justin was a collegiate sailor, a sailing instructor, and an oyster farmer for one of the largest oyster companies on the Chesapeake Bay.
- University of Virginia, B.A., 2012
- Tulane University Law School, J.D., 2016
- Virginia Association of Defense Attorneys
- Defense Research Institute
- Richmond Bar Association
- Henrico County Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Section of the American Bar Association
- Member: Admiralty and Maritime Law Committee
- Maritime Law Association
- Southeastern Admiralty Law Institute
- Tulane Maritime Law Journal – Alumni Mentor
Bar & Court Admissions
- Virginia State Bar, 2016
- United States District Court for the Eastern and Western Districts of Virginia
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- United States Court of International Trade
- Provides insurance coverage analysis on a variety of marine insurance issues arising across the United States, including drafting coverage opinions and assisting in the litigation of declaratory judgment actions based on the same.
- Assists the defense of national marine insurance carriers and insureds across the United States in issues relating to insurance coverage, personal injury, oil pollution, and property damage.
- Prepares experts for maritime personal injury litigation.
- Has assisted a foreign vessel carrier in the expeditious release of its vessel from arrest and successfully defended a bunker broker’s necessaries claim against that vessel.
- Has assisted a naval architect in his defense against a shipbuilder’s breach of contract claim, resulting in a defense jury verdict, and pursued a successful breach of contract counterclaim against that shipbuilder.
- Has assisted a national marine insurance carrier in connection with the favorable resolution of several commercial fishing property damage and lost catch claims against various insureds.
- Has assisted a national marine insurance carrier in winning declaratory judgment based on an exclusion in its recreational marine insurance policy and successfully defended that finding on appeal to the Fourth Circuit and on brief to the Supreme Court of the United States.
- Has advised commercial aquaculture client as to Jones Act liability and assisted in the drafting of an amendment to the Jones Act concerning aquaculture workers.
- Has negotiated and drafted a purchase and sale agreement for an antique wooden yacht and managed that yacht’s subsequent sale.
- Has advised and favorably represented consignors and logistics brokers in connection with several transport disputes across the United States.
- Invited Speaker, “Maritime Personal Injury and the Aquaculture Business,” East Coast Commercial Fishermen’s & Aquaculture Trade Exposition (January 2020)
- Invited Speaker, “A Practical Guide to the Limitation of Liability Act,” The Mid-Atlantic Mariner’s Club (October 2019)
- Invited Speaker, “Navigating Marine Insurance from the Insured’s Point of View,” The Virginia Yacht Club (October 2018)
- Invited Speaker, “Shedding Light on the Legal Side of Aquaculture,” The Virginia Aquaculture Conference (November 2017)