Emily joined Harman Claytor in January 2013 after serving as a prosecutor in the Henrico County Commonwealth’s Attorney’s Office, where she prosecuted misdemeanor and felony crimes in the general district and circuit courts. Prior to joining the Commonwealth’s Attorney’s Office in 2009, Emily served as a law clerk to the judges of the Henrico County Circuit Court. Emily practices general civil litigation and has represented individuals and companies in motor vehicle accident cases, local government and law enforcement officials, and landlords and property owners. In addition to her civil practice, Emily has represented a number of individuals charged with traffic and criminal matters ranging from speeding to assault and battery.
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University, B.A., 2003
- Virginia Commonwealth University, M.S.W., Phi Alpha Honor Society, 2008
- University of Richmond, T.C. Williams School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 2008
Professional Honors & Activities
- Henrico County Bar Association
- Vice-President, 2018 – 2019
- Secretary, 2017 – 2018
- Board of Directors, 2016 – 2017
- Richmond Bar Association
- Virginia State Bar
- Virginia Association of Defense Attorneys
- Defense Research Institute
- Virginia Super Lawyers – Rising Stars – Civil Litigation: Defense – 2016 – 2018
Bar & Court Admissions
- Virginia State Bar
- United States District Court for the Eastern and Western Districts of Virginia
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- Obtained defense verdict in action brought by pedestrian against transportation company for injuries sustained as result of fall while crossing roadway.
- Obtained defense verdict on behalf of property owner/landlord in snow/ice-related slip and fall case filed by tenant.
- Obtained defense verdict on behalf of farm and employee in suit filed as result of tractor v. truck motor vehicle accident.
- Obtained dismissal on a Motion to Strike of criminal assault and battery charge against restaurant manager brought by former employee.
- Obtained dismissal on the merits of criminal assault and battery charge against transit company manager brought by former employee.
- Obtained dismissal on the merits of reckless driving charge for tractor trailer driver following fatal motor vehicle accident.
- Obtained dismissal on the merits of reckless driving charge for driver alleged to have pulled into path of second vehicle leading to rollover accident.
- Obtained dismissal of personal injury claim brought by passenger spouse against driver spouse as result of two-vehicle accident.
- Obtained summary judgment for two deputies accused by inmate of deliberate indifference for not changing bunk assignment.
- Obtained denial of inmate’s Petition for Appeal to the Virginia Supreme Court seeking appeal of dismissal of Writ of Mandamus filed against official alleging failure to provide documents.
- Successfully defended landscaping company driver in companion personal injury cases resulting from multi-vehicle interstate accident.
- Successfully defended landscaping company driver in personal injury accident resulting from intersection motor vehicle accident.